Wednesday, January 16, 2008

More on potty training ...

After only a little success in November, I reluctantly had to put potty training Noah on the back burner for a bit. With Christmas and New Years fast approaching, and a 10 hour car ride (one way) to visit Matt's family, it just didn't seem like the timing was working out. Also, I was up to my eyeballs in Christmas shopping and making/selling jam. Almost every day we were out running errands, taking Rylee to art lessons or ballet class, at church, etc. These places, and car rides in general, are not very "friendly" to the potty training toddler. When he says he has to go, he means NOW, not in 10 minutes when we reach a restroom.

I tried last week to start him back up going on the potty. I thought he would at least pick up right where we left off, with maybe only a day's delay. I was wrong. I tried. I really did. By Tuesday night I was ready to beat my head against the wall. After over a weeks worth of fairly consistently putting him in underpants and reminding him often, we literally had only a success or two. I was beyond frustrated. I had decided I had two options. I could give up again temporarily and give it another try in say, a month. My selfish pride at knowing my little guy was going to turn 3 in just a few weeks really ate at me. I wanted him to be at least mostly, if not fully potty trained by the time he was 3. Why? I don't really know, but it would have made me feel better. My other option was to start getting much more firm about it. My mother in law said the only way she got Matt trained was to start spanking him when he didn't use the potty. Sounds terrible, I know. But, he knew what he was doing and was specifically avoiding the potty. He was so laid back in his personality, that he needed that push. I think she said she only had to spank him a couple of times and he got the hint and was trained almost overnight. Noah has a very similar personality, so I had considered taking this route. After getting off the phone with my sister yesterday, and talking a lot about potty training (Brock is pretty much trained!), Noah, who was wearing a diaper at the time, came up to me and said, "I want to go potty on the big potty, Mommy!" I was shocked to say the least. Not expecting a lot, I set him up there. He immediately went. Boy, did I clap and praise! Noah was grinning from ear to ear. He continued that way the rest of the day with NO accidents. I did put him in a diaper at nap time, but only then. This morning he has already had an accident, but has been in underpants for several hours. I'm hoping yesterday started something. I think we rounded a corner!

On a totally different note, I mentioned I was saving my profits from my jam sales this fall for a new couch and love seat. Matt and I went shopping recently and found something we both love. The couch and love seat should be delivered this weekend. Goodbye ugly, old, stinky couch!!!! It felt so good to know all those times when I was up until 3:00 am making jam and sooo tired, finally paid off. Our first time with new living room furniture. Its very exciting.

1 comment:

carole said...

Hey. I tagged you.
:)
See you Saturday.

 

Made by Lena